Saturday, March 5, 2011

My first music review: Live from Costa Mesa/The Devil's lair

My first music review.




My boy J.C. called me tonight. “Yo man I’m in LA on my way to Costa Mesa (the devils breeding ground). You want to roll to this show with me?” I was a little hesitant and had already decided to take a knee for the night. J.C. was like its cool man no pressure we’ll link up next time. Ok man I’ll talk to you then. Something sparked in me. That’s weak. I’ve been trying to persuade my boy to come out here for months and here I go. Immediately after hanging up I called back. “Yo I’m in”. J.C. “ Haha. What’s your address”? So we head out to Costa Mesa the worst place on earth for multiple reasons’s to see a band named Briertone. I never heard of them before but I trust J.C.’s judgment in music since we have had multiple conversations on the subject and seem to see eye to eye on most musicians.

We arrive to the dive of all dives in Orange County called “Detroit lounge and bar”. Place is in the middle of commerce central. Just a strip mall fully equipped with a Mexican style shopping mart where I bought a pack of smokes and they only had like three brands. I went with some p=funks to keep it real. We grabbed some stale Chinese and proceeded to the deal. We got there hyper early. J.C. being a Briertone fan didn’t want to miss a note and I later found out why. We sat around and observed the atmosphere for a bit, checked out a few babes that were surprisingly cute for this place but whatever who am I to complain.

The band got rallied and were on stage tuning their instruments. A couple Pilipino guys, a chic, a Viking a hipster drummer, and the kid playing a banjo that may or may not be the same kid that was in Deliverance playing a banjo. So here we go. Sat in anticipation as I was told they have a sound that is not comparable. They started off and the first thought that came to mind was U2. Not a bad start. Then the vibe changed as they started to rock out. Yes! I heard a lot of different sounds throughout the playlist. I mean it was a combination of, U2 meets Bon Jovi, Meets Incubus, meets Primus, meets the wild West, meets Lincoln Park, meets Johnny Cash. All of whom I respect. The lead singer Adam Pasion couldn’t have been taller than 5’5 but his stage presence was like Tim Duncan on Mugsey Bogues. Just owned it. I mean when he pointed at the crowd I immediately knew I owed him money from a past life. The intensity could not be paralleled.

I’m a sucker for live music. I saw the Cult with my boy Clayton and Rene like 10 years ago and the song “She Sell’s Sanctuary” remains in my top five of all time. But I know talent when I see it and there was nothing short here. I was not mistaken. What is pissing me off is these dudes don’t have a major label blowing their poles yet. I mean did Sean Parker and napster kill it for struggling artist? Does everyone have to sound like a pile of nickel back douche bag to get a deal? It’s sad. If I had any pull Briertone would have 85 videos on MTV stat. No joke. These guys are the real deal. And if you had any respect for yourself you would rep them too. Good shit you Wild West sounding motherfuckers!

2 comments:

  1. shes sells sanctuary is the monster jam. solid review. live music is king.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These dudes were tight. Embodied hella tightness.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your drivel!